Fruited Sour brew day 3-30-2024

So decided to change the name from Raspberry sour to Fruited sour as this round I’m going to try blueberries. The night before collected 7.5G(28L) of water and milled all the grains required for the brew. You can check out the recipe here.

@7:22 I started the Anvil. It started at 61F(16C) and set to 149F(65C) and 100% power @8:08 was up to 120F(48.8C).@8:31 hit the 149F(65C) and started to add in my grains. Started the timer @8:33. 30 minutes into the mash I stopped my pump and grave the grain bed a good stir. Being brew in a bag it helps pull more sugars and don’t really affect clarity of the wort. 10 minutes left in the mash I turned the Anvil up to 168F(75.5C) to mash out. @9:40 hit the 168F(75.5C) and pulled the grain basket and started to let it drain out. Turned the Anvil up to a full boil at this time as well. Pulled grain basket around 10:00 and took a gravity sample of 1.040SG and have a little under 7 gallons(26L) of wort. @10:16 hit 200F(93.3C) and pulled my typical 2 cups(450mL) of hot break and waited for the boil.

While awaiting the boil I added the frozen blueberries into a bath of water and put it on some heat to start to warm up the blueberries, I want to get them as close to 212F(100C) as I can. @10:27 the boil started and waited the 30 minutes before putting in the hops. Still after heating the blueberries up the temperature dropped down to 200F(93.C). Didn’t climb much over that but at the end of the timer started the chiller. Pulled a gravity sample of 1.043 SG and a little over 7 gallons(26L). There was a lot of juice in the blueberries. @11:44 Chilled down to 72F(22.2C) and transferred over to my fermentor and decided to push the limit of it to a little over 6 gallons of wort. Pitched the yeast at 11:50 and cleaned up. All completed by 12:05.

@20:00 on April 11th I finally got around to checking the gravity which came in at 1.008SG coming in at 4.59%. Going to chill it down before transferring to keg and cans.

@18:00 on April 17th I finally got around to kegging this up. I had decided to go with a 2.5 gallon keg and the rest can condition. Ended up with 38 12 oz can’s. Took a sample and really like the flavor. Its not as powerful as the raspberry but has a nice flavor with a tart finish. Can’t wait for this to be carbonated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *